Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Million Dollar Decorators

So our office is a buzz with talk of the new Bravo TV series, "Million Dollar Decorators." If you haven't seen this show, you need to tune in. It follows a handful, I think six, Interior Designers while they work on their clients homes, and these just aren't your typical client, we're talking million dollar clients.

One of the designers on the show is Martyn Lawrence Bullard who's clients include Sharon Osbourne, Elton John, Cher, Christina Aguilera and Tamara Mellon who founded Jimmy Choo. Bullard is originally from London who had aspirations to be an actor and fell into Interior Design.

I was reading an interview he did with the New York Times and he has a very down to earth attitude. He was asked, "Do you think viewers will be surprised by the less-than-glamorous behind-the-scenes work involved in high-end interior design?" 
His response was, "I think people will be surprised. A lot of my clients think I just swan around in designer outfits, wave the designer wand and it happens. It may look glamorous pulling up in a Mercedes and running around town shopping with a black American Express card, but the reality is that it’s grunt work. You know, sometimes I get down on my hands and knees to scrub the floors for these people. I may be in the top echelon of my career, but believe me, it’s still a service industry and I understand that." To read the rest of the interview head here.


I have to share some of his gorgeous pictures with you because they are breathtakingly beautiful and he really tries to capture his clients' personalities in the space.

Sharon Osbourne's Vintage Americana inspired kitchen. Photo from Architectural Digest.

Sharon's living room that showcases her collection of Italian Dolls.
Elton John's Living room has a modern eclectic vibe.  Photo from Styleture.

Elton's kitchen.  How awesome is that chanedlier? Photo from Styleture.

Yet another of Elton's rooms.  I don't know about you but the onyx table has me distracted from the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment